Thursday, February 22, 2024

Front Door '24

I wrote about the front door in 2020. Doing a bit of research, I see that we have wood, fiberglass and steel doors. Wood doors are meant to be stained and I don't think I want stained wood. Unless there are downsides to fiberglass, I think that's what I want, but Home Depot sells pre-hung steel that I should look at.

The door must allow light (because the house and living room face north and because a solid door is boring). I don't want most glass, however, so there are only a few obvious possibilities. Ours is a LH Inswing, by the way.



I like a bright yellow, but a bright green or blue might better fit the Coastal Forest colors inside. Pure White makes the porch feel lighter, so that would work.

Home Depot sells a steel Jeld Wen door in the 6-lite Craftsman pattern, in white, for $429. That seems a lot cheaper than anything at Frank Lumber, which calls itself "The Door Store" (and which doesn't seem to sell steel doors). Lowes has a Therma-Tru Benchmark fiberglass door, ready to paint, with simulated true divided lights in that Craftsman pattern for $498. At least one YouTuber prefers fiberglass over steel--steel can rust over time and is susceptible to dents. Both are equally energy-efficient and secure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...