Saturday, February 3, 2024

The Grayest Green You've Ever Seen

After yesterday's Home Show, I have several painters coming over to give me bids. My hunt for the right body color has led me back to a medium--40 to 55 LRV--green. Not white, cream, yellow, pink, or blue; green. There are grays with purple undertones--I don't like them.  But I want it subtle.

Sherwin-Williams has a green that is so gray... How gray is it? They don't have green in the name. Oyster Bay (6206/44) and Austere Gray (6184/51) are in the ballpark, but it decided I really like Escape Gray (6185/41). I bought a quart for testing. It looks gray in the container, but instantly turns green on a wall.

Escape Gray with Pure White mid-rail

I primed the first two rows of blue under the chair rail, then just put Escape Gray on the dark blue to see what happened. I didn't prime any of the other swatches. I painted the chair rail with the expensive "Rain Refresh" paint and--guess what I learned--blue tape doesn't stick to it. I tried painting the chair rail the same as the wall to see whether I like that better.

I still like it on the wall, but it's awfully light on the south side and with Pure White trim it looks kind of country; kind of farmhouse.

Doesn't this seem a little farmhousey?

LRV 41 seems awfully light in direct sunlight on the south side

Escape Gray on Gray Screen (7071/59) with Acier (9170/32) at the right edge. The mid-rail is Pure White, but the other white trim is just primer (and the original house white).








No comments:

Post a Comment

Steps Project

I want to remodel the whole front yard. New hardscape, and so on. But at the moment, my path from the driveway to the house is only barely w...